Friday, September 25, 2020

ON SERVING VOLLEYBALLS AND COOKIES (August 23 - September 26, 2020)



 


We left Williamsburg, Virginia, and winged our way back to Indiana.  The six week stay at the WYNDHAM KINGSGATE RESORT proved to be a wonderful experience after having been locked down in the Hoosier state since April 1st. Once back in the welcoming hills of southern Indiana, we settled into what has been a September ritual of bird watching and volleyball watching!  This year our oldest granddaughter, Abigail, is the only sophomore on a very good Avon High School team and Adelyn plays "all around" for the undefeated Avon South 8th grade team.  This fall, however, found us also heading to Minnesota for a few days. I had been asked to speak in special services hosted by the Backus Church of the Nazarene.


We really enjoyed our time in the "10,000 Lakes" state.  The scenery was beautiful with Autumn painting the landscape and those colors being reflected by the deep clear lakes.  The church kindly housed us in a lakeside cabin.  The people we met were gracious and kind.  Their many hospitable acts will never be forgotten.  We hope to return in the spring for some Walleye fishing.

Now it's off to WYNDHAM SMOKY MT. RESORT for a reunion of college friends (1960s). Seven couples, hundreds of memories, and five days to once again be together.  

REFLECTIONS

As I grow older, I am discovering that I am becoming more of a watcher than a doer.  As a matter of fact , I have really come to enjoy watching others work!  I haven't hunted in nearly two decades and I haven't played golf in over a year (unless you count ("WI GOLF").  I could go on...but you get the idea. Photography, preaching, and this blog are about it. Everything else is just the rhythm of life; the daily, routine meanderings that become more and difficult to navigate.  I don't mind getting old but my body has a hard time with it.

But just when I start thinking that I am at that point of surrendering to Father Time, I run into someone like Miss Sadie in Minnesota. Lovingly known as the "cookie lady", she bakes dozens of cookies and loaves of bread each week! She lives to share these blessings with others.  The chocolate chip cookies  and Pineapple/Coconut bread she gifted us were beyond delicious!  Oh yes, she's 93 years young!

So I guess I can manage to keep on preaching, keep on blogging, and keep on taking pictures for awhile.  Perhaps that can be my gift and blessing to others as I continue to proclaim that the best is yet to come.




4 comments:

Beverly H-Brown said...

Beautiful, heartwarming and vivid picture of life realtime! Thanks for sharing, Pastor Dicer and Sherry! “The Best is Yet to come!”

God bless you both!
Beverly

Pat said...

Your blog and pictures are a great blessing to many! Love reading about your adventures!!

Pat

Nancy Enders said...

Love reading your blog! Thank you for sharing your lovely messages.

LaNelle said...

Oh, yes, the best is definitely yet to come! Looking forward to that day!